Interfacial reactions in a Ti-6Al-4V based composite: role of the TiB2 coating
- 36 Downloads
The characterization of TiB2/C-coated SiC fibres and their interface region in a Ti-6Al-4V based composite has been performed by using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersion X-rays (EDX) and Auger electron spectroscopy (AES). The features of the as-received fibre and the reactivity between fibre and matrix occurring during preparation of the composite have been studied in this paper. The interaction of the TiB2 external coating of the fibre with both the adjacent carbon layer and the titanium-based matrix is already appreciable in the as-received composite: TiB needles grow from TiB2 towards the matrix and a new layer containing C, Ti and B appears between TiB2 and C. The thicknesses of the original carbon and TiB2 fibre coatings decrease in the composite from 1000 nm to 400 and 800 nm, respectively. The TiB2 inhibits the reaction between SiC and Ti: there is no evidence of SixTiy brittle phases.
KeywordsAuger Interfacial Reaction Interface Region Auger Electron Spectroscopy Electron Spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. R. Smith andF. H. Froes,J. Metals 36 (1984) 19.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Pailler, P. Martineau, M. Lahaye andR. Naslain,Rev. Chimie Min. 18 (1981) 520.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Appendino, C. Badini, M. Ferraris, F. Marino andM. Montorsi, in Proceedings, 13° Conv. Naz. Trattamenti Termici, Salsomaggiore, Italy, November 1991 (Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia, Milano, 1991) p. 25.Google Scholar
- 10.N. A. James, D. V. Lovett andC. M. Warwick, in Proceedings of International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM/8), Honolulu, July 1991, paper 19-I. Edited by S. W. Tsai and G. S. Springer. Stanford University, USA.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Tarrant, BP Metal Composites (UK), Private Communication, 1992.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Derby, (Department of Materials, Oxford University, UK) Private Communication, 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.L. Gonzo, L. Calliari andF. Marchetti,Vuoto 20 (1990) 341.Google Scholar
- 19.P. R. Smith, F. H. Froes andJ. T. Cammett, in Proceedings of Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Metal Matrix Composites, Dallas, February 1982, p. 143. The Metallurgical Society, AIME, USA.Google Scholar
- 22.G. Metcalfe andM. J. Klein, in Proceedings of 2nd International Conference of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, Cambridge, USA, May 1972, p. 2285. Edited by R. I. Jaffee and H. M. Burte, Plenum Press, 1973.Google Scholar
- 24.F. W. Glaser,J. Metals 4 (1952) 391.Google Scholar