Effect of processing conditions on the characteristics of pores in hot isostatically pressed alumina
- 96 Downloads
Effect of processing conditions on the characteristics of residual pores was studied with an optical microscope in hot isostatically pressed translucent alumina ceramics. Green bodies formed by isostatic pressing were sintered at 1300, 1400 and 1600°C and then hot isostatically pressed at a temperature 50°C below the respective sintering temperature for 1 h at 100 MPa. All specimens were fully dense within experimental accuracy (±0.1%), and the grain size increased with increasing sintering/hot isostatic pressing temperatures. A variety of pores were found in all specimens. The distribution of pores was uniform at various locations within the specimen. The pore population decreased with increasing pore size, but was finite in the size range exceeding 84 μm. The pores in this range increased with increasing sintering/hot isostatic pressing temperature. Except for these large pores, the pore population was similar under all processing conditions.
KeywordsPolymer Alumina Grain Size Pore Size Optical Microscope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. F. Lange, “Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, I”, edited by R. C. Bradt, D. P. H. Hasselman and F. F. Lange (Plenum, New York, 1974) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 3.F. M. Ernsberger,ibid. 3 (1988) 161.Google Scholar
- 9.D. R. Johnson, M. A. Janney andR. W. McClung, “Nondestructive Testing of High Performance Ceramics” (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio, USA, 1987) p. 19.Google Scholar
- 11.D. E. Yuhas andL. W. Kessler, “Materials Characterization”, Materials Research Society, Vol. 15 (Plenum, New York, 1983) p. 413.Google Scholar
- 15.M. D. Weeks andJ. W. Laughner, “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 21 (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio, USA, 1987) p. 793.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Miyashita, J.-Y. Kim, N. Uchida andK. Uematsu, MRS Symp. Proc. Vol. 251 (1992) p. 151.Google Scholar
- 23.K. Uematsu, M. Miyashita, M. Seikguchi, J.-Y. Kim, N. Uchida andK. Saito,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., in press.Google Scholar
- 26.W. D. Kingery, in “Ceramic Processing before Firing”, edited by G. Y. Onoda and L. L. Hench (Wiley, New York, 1978) pp. 291.Google Scholar
- 27.W. D. Kingery andB. Francois, in “Sintering and Related Phenomena”, edited by G. C. Kuczynski, N. A. Hooton and C. F. Gibbon (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1976) pp. 471.Google Scholar
- 33.M. G. Gee,Mater. Sci. 26 (1984) 85.Google Scholar
- 35.O. Abe, S. Kanzaki andH. Tabata,Seramikku Ronbunnshi 97 (1989) 12.Google Scholar