Laser transformation of Pb-Sb, Pb-Ca and Pb-Sb-Sn-As alloys
- 51 Downloads
The laser treatment of the conventional battery grid alloys such as lead-calcium, lead-antimony and lead-antimony-tin-arsenic alloys was performed to improve mechanical, creep, and corrosion properties. The associated high cooling rate and increased solid solubility produced refined microstructures with unconventional and nonequilibrium phases. These effects resulted in an increase in the ultimate tensile strength, yield strength and modulus of elasticity and a decrease in elongation at fracture. Hardness of the laser-treated lead alloys was also increased substantially. Creep tests conducted under the conditions of constant load (1 kg) and temperature (25°C) showed a large improvement in the creep resistance compared to that of the as-received lead alloys. Laser-surface treatment of lead-calcium and lead-antimony appears to decrease the weight-loss compared to as-received alloys during potentiostatic corrosion tests. The degree of the weight-loss varied for different alloys.
KeywordsYield Strength Ultimate Tensile Strength Creep Test Corrosion Test Creep Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. E. Howe, in “AIME Annual Meeting”, 27 February–3 March 1966 (The Metallurgical Society of AIME, New York, 1966), Reprint no. 2A-RF-5.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Myers, US Pat. 4 629 516, December 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.N. B. Dahotre, M. H. McCay andT. D. McCay, ILZRO Project LE-395, Progress Report no. 1, June 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.Idem, ibid., Progress Report no. 2, December 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Cohen, B. H. Kear andR. Mehrabian, in “Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Rapid Solidification Processing”, edited by B. H. Kear, B. C. Giessen and M. Cohen, Reston, Virginia, March 1980 (Claitors Baton Rouge, LA, 1980) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 6.Powder Diffraction File (Inorganic Section), Vol. 1–40 (JCPDS International Center for Diffraction Data, PA, USA).Google Scholar
- 9.N. B. Dahotre, T. D. McCay andM. H. McCay,J. Metals 42 (6) (1990) 44.Google Scholar
- 13.G. Garofalo, W. Domis andF. Gemmingen,Trans. AIME 230 (1964) 1460.Google Scholar
- 14.E. R. Parker,Trans. ASM 50 (1958) 52.Google Scholar
- 15.D. Hanson,Trans. AIME 133 (1939) 15.Google Scholar