Processing maps for hot working of Cu-Ni-Zn alloys
- 52 Downloads
The constitutive behaviour of α-β nickel silver in the temperature range 600–850 °C and strainrate range 0.001–100s−1 was characterized with the help of a processing map generated on the principles of the dynamic materials model. On the basis of the flow-stress data, processing maps showing the variation of the efficiency of power dissipation (given by [2m/(m+1)], wherem is the strain-rate sensitivity) with temperature and strain rate were obtained, α-β nickel silver exhibits a single domain at temperatures greater than 700 °C and at strain rates lower than 1 s−1 with a maximum efficiency of power dissipation of about 42% occurring at about 850 °C and at 0.1 s−1. In the domain, the α phase undergoes dynamic recrystallization and controls the deformation of the alloy, while the β phase deforms superplastically. Optimum conditions for the processing of α-β nickel silver are 850 °C and 0.1 s−1. The material undergoes unstable flow at strain rates of 10 and 100 s−1 and in the temperature range 600–750 °C, manifestated in the form of adiabatic shear bands.
KeywordsNickel Recrystallization Shear Band Material Model Power Dissipation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Padmavardhani andY. V. R. K. Prasad,Metall. Trans. 22A (1991) 2996.Google Scholar
- 4.R. D. Schelleng andG. H. Reynolds,ibid. 4A (1973) 2199.Google Scholar
- 5.D. W. Livesey andN. Ridley,ibid. 9A (1978) 519.Google Scholar
- 6.Idem, ibid. 13A (1982) 1619.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Cook,J. Inst. Metals 66 (1) (1938) 139.Google Scholar
- 10.D. M. Ward andB. J. Helliwell,ibid. 98 (1970) 98.Google Scholar
- 12.H. L. Gegel, J. C. Malas, S. M. Doraivelu, V. A. Shende, in “Metals Handbook”, 9th Edn, Vol. 14 (ASM International, Metals Park, OH, 1987) p. 417.Google Scholar
- 14.A. K. S. Kalyan Kumar, MSc (Engng) thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India 1987Google Scholar
- 15.Y. V. R. K. Prasad,Indian J. Tech. 28 (1990) 435.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Ziegler, in “Progress in Solid Mechanics”, edited by I. N. Sneddon and R. Hill (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1963) p. 93.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Laue andH. Stenger, in “Extrusion” (ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1981) p. 109.Google Scholar