Microscopic characterization of sol-gel processed cordierite
- 49 Downloads
Different analytical techniques have been used to characterize green and sintered sol-gel processed cordierite on a microscopic scale. The sintered material, although identified macroscopically as α-cordierite, contains many small precipitates of different chemical composition. Larger precipitates, characterized by an increased Mg concentration, result from inhomogeneities in the precursor gel. Smaller precipitates, identified as mullite and spinel, could not be related to gel heterogeneities. The amorphous phase surrounding the cordierite grains and the precipitates is Mg depleted and Si enriched. Neither μ-cordierite nor β-cordierite were observed; slight variations of the α-cordierite lattice parameters are attributed to some local perturbations due to a slight departure from stoichiometry or Si, Al ordering on tiny domains.
KeywordsPolymer Amorphous Phase Slight Variation Cordierite Microscopic Scale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. H. Kumar, P. W. McMillan andR. R. Tummala, US Patent 4413061 (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.J. C. Bernier, P. Poix, J. L. Rehspringer, G. Vilmin andS. Vilminot, French Patent 85-10873 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Langer andW. Schreyer,Amer. Mineral. 54 (1969) 1442.Google Scholar
- 13.C. D. Wagner, W. M. Riggs, L. E. Davis, J. F. Moulder andG. E. Muilenberg, edited by G. E. Muilenberg “Handbook of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy,” (Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Eden Prairie MI, 1979).Google Scholar
- 17.P. B. Hirsch, A. Howie.R. B. Nicholson, D. W. Pashley andM. J. Whelan, “Electron microscopy of thin crystals” (Butterworths, London, 1965) p. 161.Google Scholar
- 21.H. Suzuki, K. Ota andH. Saito,Yogyo Kyokai Shi 95 (1987) 25.Google Scholar
- 22.J. C. Broudic, J. Guille andS. Vilminot, in Proceedings of the 1st Conference of the European Ceramic Society, Maastricht, The Netherlands, June 1989.Google Scholar
- 23.T. Armbruster,N. Jb. Miner. Mh. 6 (1985) 255.Google Scholar
- 25.G. V. Gibbs,Amer. Mineral. 51 (1966) 1068.Google Scholar
- 26.L. El Chahal, J. Werckmann, G. Ehret, G. Pourroy, T. Epicier andC. Esnouf, in Proceedings of the 2nd Conference of the European Ceramic Society, Augsburg, FRG, September 1991.Google Scholar
- 27.L. El Chahal, J. Werckmann, G. Ehret, G. Pourroy, C. Esnouf andT. Epicier, to be published.Google Scholar