A micro-mechanical model for crack growth resistance of particulate-reinforced metal-matrix composites
- 57 Downloads
Particulate-reinforced metal-matrix composites are being developed to satisfy the need for high stiffness, high strength materials by combining the beneficial properties of both metals and ceramics. The use of such composites as structural members necessitates an understanding of their damage tolerance. A model relating the crack growth resistance to initiation toughness and tensile properties is developed in this paper. The crack growth toughness has also been related to fundamental microstructural properties of these composites. A critical ratio of Young's modulus to flow stress to enable stable crack growth has been established. Suitable suggestions for tailoring the microstructure to optimize crack growth toughness have been discussed.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Tensile Property High Stiffness Strength Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.P. C. Paris, H. Tada, A. Zahoor andH. Ernst, STP 668 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1980) p. 5.Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Hutchinson andP. C. Paris, ASTM STP 668 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1980) p. 37.Google Scholar
- 8.R. H. Dean, ASTM STP 803, Vol. 1 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1981) p. 39.Google Scholar
- 11.J. R. Rice, W. J. Drugan andT. L. Sham, STP 700 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1980) p. 189.Google Scholar
- 16.J. R. Rice andM. A. Johnson, in “Inelastic Behaviour of Solids” edited by M. F. Kanninenet al. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1969) p. 641.Google Scholar
- 17.C. R. Crowe andR. A. Gray, in Proceedings of 39th Meeting of High Performance Group, Gaithesburg, Pennsylvania, 1984, p. 154.Google Scholar
- 20.Z. Hashin andS. Shtrikman,J. Mech. Phys. Solids 2 (1973) 126.Google Scholar
- 21.L. M. Brown, in “Strength of Metals and Alloys”, edited by P. Haasen, V. Gerold and G. Kostorz (Pergamon, Oxford, 1980) p. 1151.Google Scholar
- 23.M. F. Ashby, in “Strengthening Methods in Crystals”, edited by A. Kelly and R. B. Nicholson (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1971) p. 184.Google Scholar
- 24.Idem, Z. Metallkok. 55 (1964) 5.Google Scholar