Synthesis of ZnO-based varistor precursor powders by means of the reaction spray process
- 67 Downloads
High-purity, fine-grained oxide ceramic powders that are commonly used for ZnO-based varistors were synthesized by means of the reaction spray process. Processing steps included formation of the solutions of zinc nitrate and/or certain metal additives and spraying of the solution into a heated reaction column using a two-phase nozzle. After water evaporation from the droplets, the precursor salts were decomposed at elevated temperatures (up to 1473 K) in order to obtain homogeneous oxide powders with complex compositions corresponding to the final multicomponent varistor system. The decomposition behaviour of the precursors, as well as the characteristics of the resulting powders: crystallinity, phase composition, particle shape, morphology and particle-size distribution, were examined. It was shown that the characteristics of the reaction spray-derived powders can be controlled by adjusting the system and the solutions parameters.
KeywordsParticle Shape Oxide Powder Ceramic Powder Complex Composition Zinc Nitrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. R. Uhlmann, B. J. J. Zelinski andG. E. Wnek, in “Better Ceramics Through Chemistry”, edited by C. J. Brinker, D. E. Clark and D. R. Ulrich (Elsevier, 1984), pp. 59–70.Google Scholar
- 3.D. M. Roy, R. R. Neongaonkar, P. O. O'Holleran andR. Roy,Ceram. Bull. 56 (1977) 1023.Google Scholar
- 4.M. J. Ruthner,J. Sci. Sintering 6 (1/2) (1974) 81.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Ivers-Tiffee andK. Seitz,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 66 (1987) 1384.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Ishizawa, O. Sakurai, N. Mizutani andM. Kato,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 1399.Google Scholar
- 13.K. Takigawa, K. Nonaka, K. Okada andN. Otsuka,Brit Ceram. Trans. J. 89 (1990) 82.Google Scholar
- 15.O. Milošević, D. Vasović, D. Poleti, LJ. Karanović, V. Petrović andD. Uskoković, in “Science of Sintering: New Directions for Materials Processing and Microstructural Control”, edited by D. P. Uskoković, H. Palmour III and R. M. Spriggs (Plenum Press, New York, London, 1989) pp. 117–26.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.O. Milošević, D. Vasović, D. Poleti, LJ. Karanović, V. Petrović andD. Uskoković, in “Ceramic Transactions” Vol. 3, edited by L. M. Levinson (The American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1989) pp. 395–402.Google Scholar
- 18.T. J. Gardner andG. L. Messing,Ceram. Bull. 63 (1984) 1498.Google Scholar
- 19.O. Milošević, D. Vasović, D. Poleti, LJ. Karanović, V. Petrovic andD. Uskoković, in “Euro-Ceramics: Properties of Ceramics”, Vol. 2, edited by G. de With, R. A. Terpstra and R. Metselaar, (Elsevier, 1989) 2382–87.Google Scholar