Gamma-ray response function of some polymeric nuclear track detectors
- 30 Downloads
The effect of gamma dose on the bulk-etch rate measurements for some gamma-irradiated polymeric nuclear track detectors was extensively studied. Various plastic samples of CR-39 allyl diglycol carbonate, Makrofol-E and Lexan polycarbonates were used and exposed to gamma doses up to 30.0 Mrad. The bulk-etch rate ratioVBD/VBO, i.e. the bulk-etch rate of irradiated samples to the unirradiated ones, was measured at the most recommended optimum etching conditions. Fading behaviour of irradiated CR-39 samples was also studied at room temperature and for a duration of up to 8 days. It was found that the etch-rate ratio for the CR-39 specimens was dose-dependent. In contrast, the polycarbonate samples showed an extremely weak response to gamma irradiation. The results of the present work reflected great evidence of the gamma dosimetric potential of CR-39 plastic detectors, which can indeed be recommended as gamma-dosimeters within the studied dose range.
KeywordsAllyl Gamma Dose Study Dose Range Plastic Detector Fading Behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. H. Attix andW. C. Roesch (eds), “Radiation Dosimetry”, 2nd Edn, Vol.11 (Academic Press, New York, 1966).Google Scholar
- 2.J. R. Cameron, G. N. Kenny andH. Suntharalingam, “Thermoluminescent Dosimetry” (University of Wisconsin Press, Wisconsin, 1968).Google Scholar
- 3.W. L. McLaughlin (ed.), “Trends in Radiation Dosimetry” (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Mahesh andD. R. Vij (eds), “Techniques of Radiation Dosimetry” (Wiley, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- 7.R. L. Fleischer, P. B. Price andR. M. Walker, “Nuclear Tracks in Solids: Principles and Applications” (University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, 1975).Google Scholar
- 9.E. Piesch, J. Jasiak andM. Urban,Nucl. Tracks 8 (1984) 323.Google Scholar
- 10.S. A. Durrani andR. K. Bull, “Solid State Nuclear Track Detection: Principles, Methods and Applications” (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1987).Google Scholar
- 19.S. R. Hashemi-Nezhad, S. A. Durrani, R. K. Bull andP. F. Green,Nucl. Tracks 8 (1984) 91.Google Scholar
- 21.S. El-Konsol, M. M. Morsi andE. M. H. Ibrahim,Egypt J. Phys. 7 (1976) 123.Google Scholar
- 27.A. A. Higazy, A. Hussein andM. A. Ewaida,J. Glass Tech. 30 (2) (1989) 72.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Zamani andS. Charalambous,Nucl. Tracks 8 (1984) 183.Google Scholar