Internal friction due to G-P zones in pure Al-16 wt % Ag and Al-16 wt % Ag-0.2 wt % Fe-0.1 wt % Si alloys
- 40 Downloads
A study has been made of an internal friction peak which occurs due to the precipitation of Guinier-Preston zones from two supersaturated Al-Ag alloys. The peak observed was interpreted as being due to relaxation around the zones of different elastic constants from that of the Al matrix. Differences in internal friction characteristics between specimens heated at 100 and 200 °C were attributed to the reversion process occurring around 200 °C in pure alloy. The height of the relaxation peak and the level of internal friction background were found to be highly affected by the presence of Fe and Si impurities in the doped alloy.
KeywordsPolymer Precipitation Elastic Constant Internal Friction Relaxation Peak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Guinier,J. Phys. Radium 8 (1942) 122.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Ziegler,Z. Metallkde 43 (1952) 213.Google Scholar
- 4.A. H. Geisler, C. S. Barret andR. F. Hehl,Trans. Amer. Inst. Min. (Metall.) Eng. 152 (1943) 182.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Hirano, Y. Hirose andK. Asano, “Keikinzoku” (Light Metals)20 (1970) 589.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Schaller andW. Benoit, in “Proceedings 3rd ECIFUAS”, Manchester, eedited by C. C. Smith (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1980) pp. 311–16.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Schaller andW. Benoit,J. de Phys. 42 (1981) C5–881.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Schaller andW. Benoit,Mem. Sci. Rev. Met. 76 (1979) 521.Google Scholar
- 18.K. Hirano, Y. Hirose andK. Asano,“Keikinzoku” (Light Metals) 20 (1971) 595.Google Scholar