Synthesis of intermetallics for high temperature structural applications: (Mn5Si3)16H crystal structure
- 69 Downloads
The Zr-Si system was chosen to study the potentiality of the (Mn5Si3)16H crystal structure for high temperature structural applications. A procedure was devised for the synthesis of intermetallics that have very high melting points. By hot isostatic pressing in a glass capsule, highly densified samples of Zr5Si3 were produced. Mechanical properties were measured. This compound is a good candidate for high temperature structural applications.
KeywordsPolymer Mechanical Property Crystal Structure Melting Point High Melting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.ASTM Nomenclature Subcommittee of Committee E-4 on Metallography,ASTM Bulletin Dec. (1957) 27, (TP215).Google Scholar
- 6.D. L. Anton, D. M. Shah, D. N. Duhl andA. F. Giamei,J. Met. Sept. (1989) 12.Google Scholar
- 11.D. W. Richerson, (ed.) “Modern Ceramics Engineering-Properties, Processing and Use in Design”, (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1982).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Watari, Y. Seki andK. Ishizaki,J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. (Internat. Ed.) 97 (1989) 170.Google Scholar
- 14.“Metals Handbook”, 9th edition, Vol. 3, (American Society for Metals, 1985) p. 242.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Ono andR. Stern,Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 245 (1969) 171.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Ishizaki andP. B. Celis, ‘Ultra High Temperature Resistant Materials and Intermetallics’, in “Handbook of New Materials”, vol. 6, “Metallic Materials”, edited by Kasuhiro Goto (Kabushiki Gaisha Shokodo, Tokyo, 1990), in press.Google Scholar