Determination of the Al/Si distribution in synthetic KxMg2Al4+xSi5−xO18 (0< x ⩽1) cordierites by 29Si and 27Al MAS-NMR spectroscopy
- 42 Downloads
29Si magic angle spinning-nuclear magnetic resonance study of three samples of potassium-substituted hexagonal cordierites with KxMg2Al4+xSi5−xO18 formula (x=0.25, 0.50, 1) has allowed the determination, in each case, of the distribution of aluminium and silicon atoms among the tetrahedral framework sites. It has been shown that the excess of aluminium compensating for the insertion of potassium within the hexagonal channels is accommodated by only the T(2) sites of the six-membered rings. A short-range order, which decreases with increasing potassium content, has been evidenced, in agreement with the results from the Rietveld refinement of neutron diffraction data.
KeywordsHexagonal Diffraction Data Neutron Diffraction Cordierite Silicon Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. P. Mercurio, D. Mercurio, B. Frit, Y. H. Kim and G. Roult, High Tech. Ceram. Mater. Sci. Monographs 38 (1987) 361.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Mercurio, P. Thomas, J. P. Mercurio, B. Frit and G. Roult, in “Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Ceramics”, Maastricht, 18–24 June (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.P. K. Predecki and J. Haas, J. Faber Jr and R. L. Hitterman, Adv. X-ray Anal. 29 (1986) 173.Google Scholar
- 10.P. Thomas, D. Mercurio, J. P. Mercurio and B. Frit, Europ. J. Solid State Inorg. Chem. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 11.E. P. Meagher and G. V. Gibbs, Can. Mineral. 15 (1977) 43.Google Scholar
- 16.Bruker, MSL Soft ware package.Google Scholar