Coupled region and area fraction of primary phases in Sb-InSb eutectic alloys
- 36 Downloads
Unidirectional solidification of Sb-InSb alloys, 26-34wt% In, was carried out in the range of growth rate 1.2 × 10−4 to 1.2 × 10−1 cms−1 and with a temperature gradient 57° C cm−1. An explanation is given which relates the coupled region with quantitative data concerning the primary phases, e.g. the area fraction and the protrusion length ahead of the eutectic interface. The coupled region can be constructed with reasonable accuracy from those quantities measured. The estimated coupled region is in qualitative agreement with the experimental result.
KeywordsPolymer Growth Rate Temperature Gradient Quantitative Data Area Fraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Kurz and D. J. Fisher, Int. Met. Rev. 24 (1979) (5/6) 177.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Elliott, “Eutectic Solidification Processing” (Butterworths, London, 1983) p. 284.Google Scholar
- 3.D. J. Fisher and W. Kurz, in “Solidification and Casting of Metals”, edited by B. B. Argent (Metal Society, London, 1979) p. 57.Google Scholar
- 4.F. R. Mollard and M. C. Flemings, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 239 (1967) 1526.Google Scholar
- 8.I. S. Ahn, PhD thesis, Han Yang University, Seoul (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.M. J. Suk, G. H. Choi and I. H. Moon, J. Korean Inst. Met. 23 (1990) (5) 462.Google Scholar
- 12.K. A. Jackson and J. D. Hunt, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 236 (1966) 1129.Google Scholar
- 15.E. E. Underwood, “Quantitative Stereology“ (Addison-Wesley, Reading, 1970) p. 25.Google Scholar