Whisker reinforcement of glass-ceramics
- 51 Downloads
Silicon carbide whisker reinforcement of anorthite and cordierite glass ceramics has been studied. At 25 vol% whisker loading the flexural strengths increased from 65–103 MPa to 380–410 MPa, the fracture toughnesses increased from 1.0–1.5 MPa m1/2 to 5.2–5.5 MPa m1/2. The strengths decline to 240–276 MPa at 1200 °C. The reasons for the decrease in strength with temperature are discussed. Whiskers from two different sources with differences in diameters and aspect ratios were evaluated and the effect of the whisker morphology on the composite properties was studied. It was found that larger diameter, higher aspect ratio whiskers result in improved composite performance. The composites were also characterized in terms of their thermal properties, i.e. thermal expansions and thermal conductivities. The thermal expansion coefficient from 25–1000 °C for anorthite-based composite was 4.6×10−6 °C−1 and that for the cordierite-based composite was 3.62×10−6 °C−1. The thermal conductivities at 1000 °C were 3.75 and 4.1 Wm−1 K−1 for cordierite and anorthite composites, respectively.
KeywordsCarbide Thermal Conductivity Aspect Ratio Thermal Expansion Fracture Toughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.K. Chyung, M. P. Taylor and R. L. Stewart, “Refractory Glass Ceramic Matrices and Their Composites Reinforced with SiC Fibers”, presented at the 87 Annual Meeting of the American Ceramic Society, May 1985, Cincinnati, OH.Google Scholar
- 5.R. L. Stewart, K. C. Chyung, M. P. Taylor and R. Cooper, in “Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics”, Vol. 7, edited by R. C. Bradt, D. P. H. Hasselman, A. G. Evans and F. T. Lange (Plenum Press, 1986).Google Scholar
- 6.K. P. Gadkaree and K. C. Chyung, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 370.Google Scholar
- 7.K. P. R. Reddy and K. P. Gadkaree, in “Proceedings of XIV International Congress on Glass”, Vol. III (Indian Ceramic Society, 1986) pp. 270–7.Google Scholar
- 8.K. P. Gadkaree and K. C. Chyung, in “Proceedings of International Conference on Whisker and Fiber Toughened Ceramics”, Oak Ridge, TN, edited by R. A. Bradley, D. E. Clark, D. C. Lrson and Stiegler (ASM International, 1988) pp. 97–104.Google Scholar
- 9.G. C. Wei and P. F. Becher, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 298.Google Scholar
- 10.P. F. Becher and G. C. Wei, Commun. Amer. Ceram. Soc. (1985) 267.Google Scholar
- 11.S. T. Buljan, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 66 (1985) pp. 347–352.Google Scholar
- 14.B. W. Rosen, “Fiber Composite Materials” (ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1964) pp. 37–75.Google Scholar
- 16.B. D. Agrawal and L. J. Broutman, “Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites” (Wiley Interscience, New York, 1980).Google Scholar