Incommensurate modulated structure in the cubic-tetragonal transition of V-Ru alloys studied by high resolution electron microscopy
- 81 Downloads
The cubic-tetragonal transition of V-Ru alloys near 50 at % has been investigated by high resolution transmission electron microscopy. In the cubic to tetragonal transition process of thin foil specimens, we found an incommensurate modulated structure showing satellite spots near 1/4 〈0 1 1〉 positions in the electron diffraction patterns. This incommensurate structure is composed of many domains of the commensurate modulated structure with a pseudotetragonal cell of A=B=2(a2 + c2)1/2 and C=c, where a and c (∼1.07a) are the lattice constants of the tetragonally distorted CsCl-type structure. The modulation is interpreted in terms of the combination of dual elastic shear distortion waves nearly parallel to the 〈0 1 1〉 directions with the approximate wavelength of 2√2a. We propose a model for the incommensurate modulated structure.
KeywordsTransmission Electron Microscopy High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Lattice Constant Electron Diffraction Transition Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N. Nakanishi, in “Progress in Materials Science” Vol. 24, edited by J. W. Christian, P. Haasen and T. B. Massalski, (Pergamon, New York, 1980) p. 143.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Nakanishi, A. Nagasawa and Y. Murakami, J. Physique 43 (1982) 35.Google Scholar
- 4.L. E. Tanner and W. A. Soffa (eds), Met. Trans. A19 (1988), 159–234, 761–820.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Oota and J. Muller, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Martensitic Transformations, Nara, August 1986, edited by I. Tamura (Japan Institute of Metals, Sendai, 1986) p. 1121.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Ohnishi, T. Onozuka and M. Hirabayashi, in Proceedings of the MRS International Meeting on Advanced Materials, Vol. 9, Tokyo, June 1988, edited by K. Otsuka and K. Shimizu (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1988) p. 531.Google Scholar
- 14.N. Ohnishi, T. Onozuka and M. Hirabayashi, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Martensitic Transformations, Sydney, July 1989, edited by B. C. Muddle, Materials Science Forum, Vol. 56–58 (1990) p. 83.Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Yamada, Phys. Rev. to be published.Google Scholar