Pulsed laser sealing of plasma-sprayed layers of 8 wt % yttria stabilized zirconia
- 53 Downloads
Results are reported of the laser surface sealing of plasma-sprayed layers of 8 wt% yttria partially stabilized zirconia (YPSZ) using pulsed treatments with powers of 0.4 and 1 kW. The structural features of the processed material were examined for a range of laser processing parameters including preheating, processing temperature and power density. By controlling the processing parameters it was possible to produce pulsed laser sealed layers of similar, or even better, quality than those produced by a continuous wave laser.
KeywordsPolymer Zirconia Pulse Laser Structural Feature Power Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Vandehaar, P. A. Molian and M. Baldwin, in “ICALEO 87”, edited by S. L. Ream, (IFS/Springer Verlag, U.K., 1987) p. 189.Google Scholar
- 3.F. S. Galasso and R. Veltri, J. Amer, Ceram. Soc. Bull. 62 (1983) 253.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Mohammed Jasim, D. R. F. West, W. M. Steen and R. D. Rawlings, in “International Congress on Applications of Laser and Electro-Optics (ICALEO '88)”, Edited by, J. G. Bruck, (IFS/Springer Verlag, U.K., 1989) p. 17.Google Scholar
- 9.Idem., unpublished work (Imperial College, London, 1991).Google Scholar
- 10.H. G. Baron, in “Thermal Stresses”, edited by P. P. Benham, R. Hoyle and H. Ford (Pitman, U.K., 1960) p. 182.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Stevens, “Zirconia and zirconia alloys” (Magnesium Elektron, U.K., 1986).Google Scholar