Interfacial stress state present in a “thin-slice” fibre push-out test
- 200 Downloads
An analysis of the stress distributions along the fibre-matrix interface in a “thin-slice” fibre push-out test is presented for selected test geometries. For the small specimen thicknesses often required to displace large-diameter fibres with high interfacial shear strengths, finite element analysis indicates that large bending stresses may be present. The magnitude of these stresses and their spatial distribution can be very sensitive to the test configuration. For certain test geometries, the specimen configuration itself may alter the interfacial failure process from one which initiates due to a maximum in shear stress near the top surface adjacent to the indentor, to one which involves mixed mode crack growth up from the bottom surface and/or yielding within the matrix near the interface.
KeywordsShear Strength Interfacial Shear Interfacial Stress Test Configuration Interfacial Shear Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.C. H. Hsuch, Acta Metall. Mater. 38 (1990) 406.Google Scholar
- 7.R. J. Kerans, P. D. Jero, T. A. Parthasarathy and A. Chetterjee, in “Intermetallic Matrix Composites” edited by D. L. Antan, P. L. Martin, D. B. Miracle and R. McMeeking (MRS, Pittsburgh) (1990) p. 263.Google Scholar
- 8.S. K. Mital and C. C. Chamis, unpublished research (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.R. D. Noebe, R. R. Bowman and J. E. Eldridge, in “Intermetallic Matrix Composites” edited by D. L. Antan, P. L. Martin, D. B. Miracle and R. McMeeking (MRS, Pittsburgh) (1990) p. 323.Google Scholar
- 10.C. A. Moose, D. A. Koss and J. R. Hellmann, ibid.in “.Google Scholar
- 11.J. W. Laugher, N. J. Shaw, R. T. Bhatt and J. A. Di Carlo, Ceram. Engng Sci. Proc. 7 (1986) 7.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Petrich, D. A. Koss and J. R. Hellmann and M. N. Kallas, in “Interfacial Phenomena in Composite Materials '91”, edited by I. Verpoest and F. Jones (Butterworth-Heineman, Oxford, 1991) p. 155.Google Scholar
- 15.M. G. Stout, M. L. Lovato, A. G. Zocco and T. R Jervis, Los Alamos Laboratory, LA-11815-ms (1990).Google Scholar