The optical properties of hot-pressed magnesium fluoride and single-crystal magnesium fluoride in the 0.1 to 9.0 μm range
- 105 Downloads
A polycrystalline high-density magnesium fluoride, fabricated into plates or shapes by hot-pressing, exhibits high in-line transmittance from 2.5 to 6.0 μm, and single-crystal magnesium fluoride extends from 0.1 to 6.0 μm. The ultimate and practical transmittance of hot-pressed magnesium fluoride using intrinsic and extrinsic reflectance, absorptance and scattering mechanisms, are investigated. The intrinsic scattering mechanism due to the polycrystalline structure is basically responsible for the tremendous difference in transmittance in the short wavelength region of the spectrum. The in-line transmittance of polycrystalline and singlecrystal MgF2 is discussed in terms of sample thickness.
KeywordsPolymer Magnesium Fluoride Optical Property Short Wavelength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.US Pat. 4044112(1977).Google Scholar
- 3.US Pat. 3 920 802 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.Hitach, 58-135171 (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.F. K. Volynets, E. P. Smirnays and N. A. Stsepuro, Sov. J. Opt. Technol. 42 (1975) 256.Google Scholar
- 8.Eastman Kodak Co., “Kodak Irtran: Infrared Optical Materials” (Kodak publications U-72, Rochester, New York, 1971).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Born and E. Wolf, in “Principles of Optics”, 6th Edn (Pergamon Press, New York, 1980) p. 38.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Kittel, in “Introduction to Solid State Physics”, 6th Edn (Wiley, Singapore, New York, 1986) p. 107.Google Scholar
- 14.W. D. Kingery, H. K. Bowen and D. R. Uhlmann, in “Introduction to Ceramics”, 2nd Edn (Wiley, New York, 1975) p. 654.Google Scholar
- 15.H. C. Van de Hulst, in “Light Scattering by Small Particles” (Wiley, New York, 1957) p. 132.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Kerker, in “The Scattering of Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation” (Academic Press, New York, 1969) p. 104.Google Scholar
- 17.J. A. Savage, in “Infrared Optical Materials and their Antireflection Coatings” (Adam Hilger, UK, 1985) p. 10.Google Scholar