Interface and fracture of carbon fibre reinforced Al-7 wt% Si alloy
- 90 Downloads
The interface structure in an aluminium-7 wt% silicon alloy reinforced with carbon fibres has been investigated using analytical electron microscopy. Crystals of aluminium carbide (Al4C3) have been identified in interface regions and their structure and growth are discussed. Mechanical properties of the composite have been measured and fracture behaviour studied using acoustic emission analysis in parallel with microstructural examination. The results indicated that the aluminium carbide interfacial reaction had produced a strong fibre matrix bond, but reduced the fibre strength and embrittled the matrix. Consequently, whole fibre bundles failed in a brittle manner in the longitudinal direction with limited pull-out of individual fibres. The findings are discussed in relation to the method used to manufacture the composite.
KeywordsCarbon Fibre Acoustic Emission Interfacial Reaction Fibre Bundle Analytical Electron Microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. L. Trumper, P. J. Sherwood and A. W. Clifford, Materials in Aerospace, Proceedings of International Conference (Royal Aeronautical Society, London, 1986) p. 234.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Mykura, International Symposium Cast Reinforced Metal Composites, edited by S. G. Fishman and A. K. Dhingra (ASM International, Pennsylvania, 1988) p. 173.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Otani, B. McEnaney and V. D. Scott, International Symposium Cast Reinforced Metal Composites, edited by S. G. Fishman and A. K. Dhingra (ASM International, Pennsylvania, 1988) p. 383.Google Scholar
- 10.Everett, W. Henshaw, D. G. Simsons and D. J. Land, “Composite Interfaces”, edited by H. Ishida and J. L. Koenig (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1986) p. 231.Google Scholar
- 12.“Smithells Metals Reference Book”, 6 Edn edited by E. A. Brandes (Butterworths, London, 1983) pp. 8–23.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Taya and R. J. Arsenault, “Metal Matrix Composites—Thermomechanical Behaviour” (Pergamon, Oxford, 1989) p. 247.Google Scholar
- 14.B. Maruyama and L. Rabenberg, “Interfaces in Metal Matrix Composites”, edited by A. D. Dhingra and S. G. Fishman (ASM International, Pennsylvania, 1986) p. 233.Google Scholar
- 15.S. J. Harris and A. L. Marsden, “Practical Metallic Composites” (Institute of Metals, London, 1974) B35.Google Scholar