The effect of compatibilizer level on the mechanical properties of a nylon 6/ABS polymer blend
- 71 Downloads
The influence of compatibilizer on the morphology and mechanical properties of a blend of nylon 6 and ABS has been studied. For this blend, the morphological domain size decreases significantly with increasing compatibilizer level. However, stiffness and tensile stress at yield are unaffected by these changes. Within the range of these experiments, lzod impact strength increases monotonically with increasing levels of compatibilizer, but the resistance to crack initiation (Jc) and the resistance to steady state crack growth (Rp) are both increased by the addition of a small amount of compatibilizer and are essentially independent of further increases.
KeywordsPolymer Mechanical Property Steady State Nylon Tensile Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. Wigotsky, Plastics Engng 44 (11) (1988) 25.Google Scholar
- 4.D. R. Paul and S. Newman, “Polymer Blends” Vols I and II (Academic Press, New York, 1978).Google Scholar
- 5.R. E. Lavengood and F. M. Silver,“New Nylon ABS Alloys: Structure-Property Relationships — Part I” in SPE ANTEC Conference Proceedings, 4–7 May 1987, pp. 1369–74.Google Scholar
- 9.R. E. Lavengood and F. M. Silver, “New Nylon ABS Alloys: Structure-Property Relationships — Part 2” in SPE RETEC, Dearborn, MI, 2–4 November 1987, pp. 299–71.Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Lavengood, A. R. Padwa and A. F. Harris, US Pat. 4713 415, 15 December 1987.Google Scholar