Crazing mechanism based on plastic instability
- 113 Downloads
The mechanism of the nucleation of craze from the region of pre-formed voids is discussed on the basis of the finite elements analysis for an elastic plastic material containing a twodimensional array of cylindrical voids. Calculations are made for the two kinds of boundary conditions with respect to the constraint of the transverse strain under simple tension. The craze formation is considered to be an unstable concentration of plastic strain within the ligament between neighbouring voids. The present calculation shows that the constraint of the transverse strain is the essential factor in craze formation.
KeywordsPolymer Boundary Condition Plastic Strain Finite Element Analysis Present Calculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.M. Ishikawa, I. Narisawa and H. Ogawa, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. Edn 15 (1977) 197.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Ishikawa and I. Narisawa, J. Mater. Sci. 18 (1983) 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Hill, “The Mathematical Theory of Plasticity” (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1950).Google Scholar
- 10.C. A. Berg, in “Inelastic Behavior of Solids” edited by M. F. Kanninen, W. F. Addler, A. R. Rosenfield and R. I. Jaffer (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1971) p. 171.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Ishikawa, H. Ogawa and I. Narisawa, J. Macromol Sci. Phys. Edn B19 (421) 1989.Google Scholar