Electron microscopy and EDX-microanalysis of photochromic silver halide glasses of the composition systems Al2O3-B2O3-SiO2 and Na2O-CaO-SiO2
- 65 Downloads
The microstructure and microanalysis study of two glasses containing AgCl precipitated particles have been carried out by transmission electron microscopy (TEM, replica method), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and SEM/EDX (energy dispersive X-ray spectrometry). The composition of these glasses doped with silver halide and CuO was formulated from the Al2O3-B2O3-SiO2 and Na2O-CaO-SiO2 systems respectively. In both glasses the seeds, nuclei, crystals and matrix were analysed, and the mean size and number of crystals were evaluated from the TEM and SEM observations. The microstructure in both glasses is different because of the different shape of the silver halide particles; the particles of the Al2O3-B2O3-SiO2 glass are rounded while Na2O-CaO-SiO2 shows square precipitated particles. Likewise, the darkening behaviour is basically different; the Al2O3-B2O3-SiO2 glass shows a higher darkening velocity than the Na2O-CaO-SiO2 glass, showing for this glass a very small slope value.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Microscopy Electron Microscopy Scanning Electron Microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. F. Horne, in “Introduction to Optical Technology” (Crane-Russak Inc., New York, 1971) p. 25.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Ma. Fernandez Navarro, in “El Vidrio” (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, 1985) p. 528.Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Vargin et al., Soviet J. Opt. Technol. 35 (1968) 38.Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Datsenko, Soviet J. Opt. Technol. 41 (1974) 395.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Marquez, E. Rivera and L. E. Celaya, in Memorias XII Congreso de la Academia nacional de Ingenieria México, México (Academia Nacional de Ingenieria, A. C. Mexico, 1986) p. 164.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Rincon and A. Duran, in “Separación de Fases en Vidrios: el sistema Na2O-B2O3-SiO2 (Sociedad Española de Cerámica y Vidrio, Madrid, 1982) p. 78.Google Scholar
- 11.Von Pascova and I. Gutzow, Glastechn. Ber. 56 (1983) 324.Google Scholar
- 13.H. Bach and G. Gliemeroth, Glasstech. Ber. 44 (1971) 305.Google Scholar