Kinetics of α- and β-Si3N4 formation from oxide-free high-purity Si powder
- 81 Downloads
Available kinetic data for the nitridation of high-purity oxide-free Si powder are analysed. The analysis suggests that the α- and β-phases of Si3N4 are formed by separate and parallel reaction paths, and kinetic expressions for their formation are reported. The formation of the α-phase follows first-order kinetics, while the β-phase is formed by a phase-boundary-controlled rate law. These conclusions are consistent with other kinetic and micrographic analyses reported in the literature.
KeywordsPolymer Kinetic Data Reaction Path Parallel Reaction Kinetic Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. R. Messier and W. J. Croft, in “Preparation and Properties of Solid State Materials”, Vol. 7, edited by W. R. Wilcox (Marcel Decker, New York, 1982) Ch. 2, p. 131.Google Scholar
- 3.F. L. Riley, Mater. Sci. Forum 47 (1989) 189.Google Scholar
- 6.J. R. Rice, “Numerical Methods, Software, and Analysis” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1983) p. 277.Google Scholar
- 8.S. F. Hulbert, J. Brit. Ceram. Soc. 6 (1969) 11.Google Scholar
- 9.J. M. Smith, “Chemical Engineering Kinetics”, 3rd Edn (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1981) p. 642.Google Scholar
- 10.L. K. Doraiswamy and M. M. Sharma, “Heterogeneous Reactions: Analysis, Examples, and Reactor Design”, Vol. 1 (Wiley, New York, 1984) p. 450.Google Scholar