Quantitative fractography of SiC whisker-Si3N4 matrix composites
- 30 Downloads
An SEM quantitative stereophotogrammetry technique was developed and employed to analyse the fracture surfaces of VLS SiC whisker-Si3N4 matrix composites. This technique has quantitatively established that increased surface roughness is associated with increased fracture toughness for these composites. Matrix grain morphology and whisker/matrix interfacial characteristics are contributing factors to composite surface roughness.
KeywordsPolymer Surface Roughness Fracture Surface Fracture Toughness Matrix Composite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. D. Shalek, J. J. Petrovic, G. F. Hurley and F. D. Gac, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 351.Google Scholar
- 6.S. R. Nutt and D. S. Phillips, in “Interfaces in Metal-Matrix Composites” (The Metallurgical Society, Warrendale, PA, 1986) p. 111.Google Scholar
- 7.A. G. Evans, private communication, July 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.A. R. Cooper, private communication, May 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.M.-Y. He and J. W. Hutchinson, “Crack Deflection at an Interface Between Dissimilar Elastic Materials”, Harvard University Report MECH-133, October 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.J. W. Hutchinson, “Mixed Mode Fracture Mechanics of Interfaces” Harvard University Report MECH-139, February 1989.Google Scholar