Diffusional cubic-to-tetragonal phase transformation and microstructural evolution in ZrO2-Y2O3 ceramics
- 63 Downloads
The diffusional cubic-to-tetragonal (c-t) phase transformation and microstructural evolution were studied on ZrO2-Y2O3 ceramics with 4 to 6 mol% Y2O3 annealed in the two phase (c + t) region for longer periods of time. It was shown that in early stages of annealing a “tweed” structure of t-ZrO2 was developed. With increasing annealing time this tweed structure becomes coarser and changes into internally twinned “colony” structure. The “colonies” can grow to large sizes but their twin-spacing remains almost constant. The effect of increasing annealing temperature was shown to be more obvious than prolonging annealing time in the transition from tweed to colony structure. The mechanism of the diffusional c-t transformation was discussed.
KeywordsPolymer Phase Transformation Y2O3 Annealing Time Microstructural Evolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Tsukuma, Y. Kubota and T. Tsukitate, in “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 12, Science and Technology of Zirconia II, edited by N. Claussen, M. Rühle and A. H. Heuer (American Ceramic Society, Columbus OH, 1984) pp. 382–90.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Ryshkewith, “Oxide Ceramics” (Academic Press, New York, 1960) p. 350.Google Scholar
- 4.A. H. Heuer and M. Rühle, in “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 12, op. cit. , pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- 8.S. C. Farmer, T. E. Mitchell and A. H. Heuer, in “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 12, op. cit. , pp. 152–63.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Zhou, Ph.D. Thesis, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, People's Republic of China (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.A. H. Heuer, R. Chaim and V. Lanteri, ‘Phase Transformation and Microstructural Characterization of Alloys in the Y2O3-ZrO2 System’, a review, by private communication.Google Scholar
- 18.V. Lanteri, A. H. Heuer and T. E. Mitchell, in “Advanced in Ceramics”, Vol. 12, op. cit. , pp. 118–30.Google Scholar