Influence of surface modification of porous glasses on their surface free energy
- 71 Downloads
Investigations of zeta-potential changes of initial and thermally treated controlled-porosity glasses (CPGs), whose surfaces were covered with different amounts of n-octane and/or nitromethane, are presented. The dispersive (γ s d ) and non-dispersive (γ s n ) components of the surface free energy were then calculated using the relationships obtained. γ s d was found to be practically independent of the treatment time (a small increase in the range of 4 mJ m−2 can be seen), but a considerable decrease in γ s n was observed (from 76.95 to 27.2 4 mJ m−2). In the case of CPG modified with γ-aminopropyltriethoxysilane an increased hydrophobic character of the surface was found. This was reflected in increased γ s d and decreased γ s n values.
KeywordsPolymer Free Energy Treatment Time Surface Modification Surface Free Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. L. Mittal, in “Adhesion Science and Technology”, Vol. 9A, edited by L. H. Lee (Plenum, New York, 1976) p. 129.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Janowski and W. Heyer, “Poröse Glässer” (VEB Deutscher Verlag für Grundstoffindustrie, Leipzig, 1982).Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Dawidowicz, A. Waksmundzki and A. Derylo, Chem. Anal. 24 (1979) 811.Google Scholar
- 8.M. B. Volf, “Technical Glasses”, Part 10 (Pitman, London, 1961).Google Scholar
- 12.V. M. Kirutenko, A. V. Kiseleu, V. I. Lygin and K. L. Scepalin, Kinetyka i Kataliz 15 (1974) 1584.Google Scholar
- 14.R. A. Messing and H. H. Weetall, US Patent 3519538 (1968).Google Scholar
- 23.A. Gorgol, J. Wójcik, J. Gawdzik, Z. Suprynowicz and A. Waksmundzki, Polish Patent PRL 173237 (1974).Google Scholar
- 29.A. W. Adamson, in “Physical Chemistry of Surfaces” (Interscience, New York, 1982) p. 124.Google Scholar
- 30.B. R. Malcolm, in “Progress in Surface and Membrane Science”, Vol. 7, edited by J. F. Danielli, M. D. Rosenberg and D. A. Cadenhead (Academic, New York, 1973) p. 200.Google Scholar
- 35.B. Jańczuk, Przem. Chem. 61 (1982) 468.Google Scholar