Characterization of molecular orientation by differential scanning calorimetry
- 50 Downloads
Differential scanning calorimetry was used to study relaxations occurring above the glass transition, Tg for a number of characterized and fabricated polystyrenes. Part 1 of this study examines the liquid-liquid relaxation temperature, TLL; Part 2 the effects of injection moulding and biaxial orientation of polystyrene; and Part 3 deals with the effects of injection blow moulding.
The rubbery plateau region was found to be bounded by the glass transition, Tg, and a weak transition or relaxation, TLL, found above Tg as an endothermic slope change in the base line. In some cases, this transition could be enhanced as a step change when molten samples were quenched in liquid nitrogen.
The effect of molecular weight on Tg and TLL was similar, and had the relationships TLL/Tg=1.07+0.03 forMinw/Mn ≃1, and TLL/Tg=1.15 ± 0.01 for ¯Mw/¯Mn > 1.
KeywordsDifferential Scanning Calorimetry Polystyrene Glass Transition Calorimetry Base Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. F. Boyer, J. Polym. Sci. B14 (1966) 267.Google Scholar
- 3.J. B. Enns, R. F. Boyer and J. K. Gillham, Polym. Prepr., Amer. Chem. Soc. B18 (1977) 475.Google Scholar
- 8.J. K. Gillham and R. F. Boyer in “Thermal Methods in Polymer Analysis” edited by S. W. Shalaby (Franklin Inst. Press, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1978) p. 5.Google Scholar
- 13.L. E. Nielsen, ibid. B17 (1977) 413.Google Scholar
- 15.R. F. Boyer, ibid. B23 (1985) 1.Google Scholar
- 16.S. W. Shalaby in “Thermal Characterization of Polymer Materials” edited by E. A. Turi (Academic Press, London, 1981) p. 337.Google Scholar
- 17.R. F. Boyer in “Polymer Yearbook 2” edited by R. A. Pethrick (Harwood Academic, 1985) p. 233.Google Scholar
- 18.T. G. Fox and P. J. Flury, J. Polym. J. B14 (1954) 315.Google Scholar
- 19.L. R. Denny, R. F. Boyer and H. G. Elias, J. Macromolec. Sci Phys. B25 (1986) 277.Google Scholar
- 20.S. S. Chang, Polym. Commun. 29 (1988) 33.Google Scholar
- 21.E. Janckel and V. Ueberreiter, Z. Physik. Chemie BA182 (1938) 361.Google Scholar
- 23.J. M. G. Cowie, Engng Polym. J. B11 (1975) 297.Google Scholar
- 24.R. V. Kokta, J. L. Valade, V. Hornof and K. N. Law, in Proceedings of the fifth meeting of the North N. Americal Thermal Analysis Society, Canada, June 1975.Google Scholar