Internal oxidation of rapidly solidified silver-tin-indium alloy powders
- 137 Downloads
The internal oxidation behaviour of rapidly solidified silver-tin-indium (Ag-Sn-In) alloy powders is described. Internal oxidation of Ag-Sn-ln alloy has gained importance in view of the possible replacement of toxic silver-cadmium oxide (Ag-CdO) material by a better property silver-tin oxide (Ag-SnO2) electrical contact material. Rapidly solidified Ag-Sn-In alloy powders of composition Ag-6.0Sn-3.0In were prepared by gas atomization. The important characteristics of alloy and powders, from the point of view of internal oxidation, were determined. The powders were internally oxidized and subsequently processed by conventional powder metallurgy techniques. The important physical properties, such as electrical conductivity, hardness, density and microstructure, were determined. The physical properties, especially the microstructure and rate of internal oxidation, were compared with the materials prepared by the conventional internal oxidation route.
KeywordsMicrostructure Electrical Conductivity Powder Metallurgy Electrical Contact Good Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Wagner, Z. Electrochem. 63 (1959) 772.Google Scholar
- 3.F. N. Rhines, Trans. Amer. Inst. Min. (Metall.) Eng. 137 (1940) 246.Google Scholar
- 4.F. N. Rhines, W. A. Johnson and W. A. Anderson, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 147 (1942) 205.Google Scholar
- 5.D. J. Pedder, P. Douglass, J. P. MacCarthy and F. S. Bugnes, IEEE Trans. PHP13 (1977) 42.Google Scholar
- 6.T. R. Anantharaman and C. Suryanarayana, “Rapidly Solidified Metals — A Technological overview” (Trans. Tech, Aedermannsdorf, Switzerland, 1987).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. S. Shen and L. J. Gould, IEEE Trans. CHMT-4 (1987) 157.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Eichenauer and G. Muller, Z. Metallkde 53 (1962) 321.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Verma, A. Roy and T. R. Anantharaman, Int. J. Powder Metall. 27(1) (1991) 51.Google Scholar
- 12.J. E. Sheeman, F. V. Lenel and G. S. Ansell, Mater. Sci. Res. C (1972) 201.Google Scholar
- 13.Y. S. Shen, E. J. Zdanuk and R. H. Krock, in “Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Electrical Contact Phenomena”, Chicago (1972) p. 333.Google Scholar