Analysis of flexural creep for an SiC fibre-reinforced Si3N4 composite
A numerical analysis for extracting the tensile and compressive creep power-law parameters from flexural test data is applied to an SiC fibre-reinforced hot-pressed Si3N4 composite. The evolution and steady-state conditions of the stress distribution during creep and the effect of neutral-plane migration on the creep behaviour are also analysed. Finally, the kinetics and mechanisms of high-temperature creep in the composite are discussed with respect to the results of the numerical analysis.
KeywordsPolymer Migration Test Data Stress Distribution Creep Behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. J. Mecholsky, Ceram. Bull. 68 (1989) 367.Google Scholar
- 6.J.-M. Yang, R. B. Thayer, S. T. Chena and W. Lin, in Proceedings of ICCM VIII, 1991, edited by S. W. Tsai and G. S. Springer (SAMPE, Covina, CA, 1991) p. 23-C.Google Scholar
- 11.F. H. Norton, “Creep of Steel at High Temperatures” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1929) p. 67.Google Scholar
- 13.U. Ernstberger, G. Grathwohl and F. Thummler, in Proceedings of 2nd International Symposium on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines, edited by E. W. Bunk, H. Hausner and B. Honnet (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1986) p. 485.Google Scholar
- 15.T.-J. Chuang, S. M. Wiederhorn and C.-F. Chen, in “Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures,” edited by B. Wilshire and R. W. Evans (Institute of Metals, London, 1987) p. 957.Google Scholar
- 17.R.F. Davis and C. H. Carter Jr., in “Advanced Ceramics,” editor-in-chief S. Saito (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1988) p. 95.Google Scholar
- 22.P. K. KIhandelwal, J. Chang and P. W. Heitman, in Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, Vol. 8. Edited by R. C. Bradt, A. G. Evans, D. P. H. Hasselman and F. F. Lange (Plenum, New York, 1986).Google Scholar