Cyclic simple shear of metallic sheets: application to aluminium-lithium alloy
- 69 Downloads
Plane shear tests without lateral force are obtained with the help of a very rigid shear device, attached to a classical testing machine. To avoid shear strain heterogeneity, essentially in the lateral direction, the shear strain is measured locally. The comparison with tensile test results indicates that for an elongation ratio of 10 the stress is determined with a systematic underestimate of about 4.5%. This shear device allows extensive characterization of an aluminium-lithium alloy, available only in the shape of sheets: the shear modulus of tangential elastic behaviour, conventional yield strength, shear strength of asymptotic plastic behaviour, cyclic hardening and strength anisotropy can be determined. The accuracy of the test, due to the great rigidity of the apparatus, has also permitted determination of the lateral strain and consequently of a shear ratchet during cyclic loadings.
KeywordsShear Strength Shear Modulus Shear Strain Lateral Strain Simple Shear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.A. Tourabi, thèse I.N.P.G., Grenoble (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Ph. Gomiero, thèse I.N.P.G., Grenoble (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Brechet, S. Han, F. Louchet and B. Wack, in “Comportement en fatigue de torsion de l'alliage binaire aluminium-lithium. Aspect macroscopique et microstructure” (Report L.T.P.C.M. and I.M.G., Grenoble, 1986).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Brechet, thèse I.N.P.G., Grenoble (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.B. Wack and A. Tourabi, in “Etude des propriétés mécaniques de l'alliage industriel 2091” (Report I.M.G., Grenoble, 1990).Google Scholar
- 9.W. D. Rooney, J. M. Papazian, E. S. Balmuth, R. C. Davis and P. N. Adler, in Proceedings of 5th International Aluminium-Lithium Conference, Williamsburg, VI, March 1989, edited by T. H. Sanders and E. A. Starke (Materials and Component Engineering Publications Ltd, Birmingham, 1989) p. 799.Google Scholar
- 10.P. Meyer and B. Dubost, in Proceedings of 3rd International Aluminium-Lithium Conference, Oxford, July 1985, edited by C. Baker, P. J. Gregson, S. J. Harris and C. J. Peel (Institute of Metals, London, 1986) p. 37.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Meyer, Y. Cans, D. Ferton and M. Reboul, in Proceedings of 4th International Aluminium-Lithium Conference, Paris, June 1987, edited by G. Champier, B. Dubost, D. Miannay and L. Sabetay (Editions de Physique, Paris, 1987) p. C3–131.Google Scholar