Sintering and characterization of fully dense aluminium nitride ceramics
- 200 Downloads
Aluminium nitride ceramics with no sintering additives could be densified to close to theoretical density (99.6% theoretical) by pressureless sintering of tape-cast green sheets at 1900 °C for 8 h. The thermal conductivity and bending strength of the specimens were 114 Wm−1 K−1 and 240 MPa, respectively. The effect of Y2O3 additive on sinterability, thermal conductivity and microstructure of aluminium nitride ceramics was investigated. Thermal conductivity increased with increasing amount of Y2O3 additive, sintering temperature and holding time at the sintering temperature. Samples with a thermal conductivity up to 258 Wm−1 K−1 were fabricated by elimination of the grain-boundary phase.
KeywordsPolymer Aluminium Microstructure Thermal Conductivity Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.A. Kranzmann, P. Greil and G. Petzow, Sci. Sintering 20 (1988) 135.Google Scholar
- 9.N. Kuramoto, H. Taniguchi and I. Aso, Adv. Ceram. 26 (1989) 107.Google Scholar
- 10.“Studies on Aluminium Nitride”; in Report no 4, National Institute for Researches in Inorganic Materials, Japan (1973) p. 38.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Prochazka and C. F. Bobik, Mater. Sci. Res. 13 (1980) 321.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Kuramoto, H. Taniguchi and I. Aso, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 68 (1989) 883.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Hirano, T. Isobe, K. Kato, K. Otsuka and T. Hirano, Jpn Pat. disclosure (Kokai) 1-160873 (1989).Google Scholar