Patterns of stress-induced phase transformation in MgO-stabilized zirconia ceramic revealed using micro-Raman imaging
- 98 Downloads
An automated Raman microscope system has been used to collect mapped Raman data from a Goodfellow 3% MgO stabilized zirconia ceramic tile. The data have been transformed to produce images which show the relative concentrations and distributions of the monoclinic and tetragonal phases in the mapped areas. The images reveal concentrations of the monoclinic phase at grain boundaries. Regions surrounding indents in the tile created with a Vickers hardness tester, were also mapped to reveal the extent and pattern of stress-induced phase transformation. A Raman map was also generated from an area before and after indentation. Comparison of the Raman images with the optical white light images reveals a relationship between the pattern of grain boundaries on the sample and the distribution of transformed material.
KeywordsPolymer Zirconia Material Processing Relative Concentration Vickers Hardness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. C. Garvie, in “High Temperature Oxides, Part II” (Academic Press, New York, 1970) p. 118.Google Scholar
- 7.B. C. Weber, Aerospace Research Laboratories Report ARL-64-205 (1964).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Katagiri, H. Ishida, A. Ishitani and T. Masaki, Adv. Ceram. 24 (1988) 537.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Arahori, T. Shigematsu and H. Yoshinaga, Sumitomo Search 36 (1988) 97.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Arahori, T. Suzuki, N. Iwamoto and N. Umesaki, Adv. Ceram. 24 (1988) 549.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Kudo, J. Mizuno and H. Hasegawa, Adv. Ceram. 24 (1988) 103.Google Scholar
- 16.F. J. Bergin and C. G. Shelton, in “Proceedings of the IXth International Conference on Raman Spectroscopy”, London 1988, edited by R. J. H. Clark and D. A. Long (Wiley, New York, 1988), p. 445.Google Scholar
- 17.O. Ohtaka and S. Kume, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 71 (1988) C164.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Ishitani, G. Katagiri, H. Ishida and T. Masaki, Microbeam Anal. (1988) 169.Google Scholar
- 20.J. Adams and B. Cox, J. Nucl. Energy Part A 11 (1959) 31.Google Scholar