Effect of zirconia (3 mol% yttria) additive on mechanical properties and structure of alumina ceramics
- 68 Downloads
The effects of ZrO2-3 mol% Y2O3 additives containing 7.3, 15, 23.3 and 32 vol% of ZrO2 on σf, KIC, Hv and the microstructure of hot-pressed alumina-based ceramics were investigated. The presence of the m-, t- and t′-ZrO2 phases was discovered by using X-ray diffraction and transmission electron microscopy. An inhomogeneous distribution of Y2O3 in the ZrO2 grains was observed. The variation of the mechanical properties of the ceramics is explained by the influence of different toughening mechanisms and by a change in the structure of the material.
KeywordsPolymer Alumina Microstructure Microscopy Electron Microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yu. G. Gogotsy, O. N. Grigoryev, N. A. Orlovskaya et al. Ogenupory No. 11 (1989) 10.Google Scholar
- 3.Idem, ibid. No. 6 (1991) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 4.O. N. Grigoryev, S. A. Nochevkin and N. A. Stel'mashenko, Zavodskaya laboratoriya No. 3 (1987) 31.Google Scholar
- 5.R. B. Miller, J. L. Smialer and R. G. Garlick, in “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 3, edited by L. W. Hobbs and A. H. Heuer (American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1981) p. 251.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Shimada, K. Nagata, M. Hashiba et al. in “Advances in Ceramics”, Vol. 24, edited by S. Somiya, N. Yamamota and H. Yanagida (American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1988) p. 397.Google Scholar
- 8.J. K. Gupta, Fract. Mech. Ceram. 4 (1978) 877.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Yoshimura, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 67 (1988) 1950.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Ruhle, M. L. M a Cartney and N. Claussen, in “Proceedings of International Symposium on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines”, Lübeck-Travemunde, FRG, 1986, p. 593.Google Scholar
- 15.V. I. Treiflov, O. N. Grigor'ev and A. M. Shatohin, Doklady AN UkrSSR No. 4 (1981) 836.Google Scholar
- 16.D. P. N. Hasselman and R. M. Fulrath, in “Ceramic Microstructures”, edited by R. M. Fulrath and J. A. Pask (Wiley, New York, 1968) p. 343.Google Scholar