Ultrasonic evaluation of elastic parameters of sintered powder compacts
- 130 Downloads
The variation of elastic moduli, M, of sintered powder compacts with porosity, p, has been analysed in terms of an equation M = M0 (1−p)n, where M0 is the elastic modulus of non-porous material and n is a constant. The variation of ultrasonic velocities has also been described in terms of a similar equation derived from the relations given by physical acoustics theory. It has been shown that the parameter n is related to a stress concentration factor around pores in the material and is dependent on pore geometry and its orientation in the material. The observed variation in moduli and velocities with porosity has been compared with the theoretically predicted values based on self-consistent oblate spheroidal theory.
KeywordsPolymer Porosity Elastic Modulus Powder Compact Stress Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. P. Papadakis and B. W. Patersen, Mater. Eval. 37 (1979) 76.Google Scholar
- 2.R. M. Arons and D. S. Kupperman, ibid. 40 (1982) 1076.Google Scholar
- 4.J. P. Panakkal, Br. J. NDT 34 (1992) 529.Google Scholar
- 5.D. J. Roth, D. B. Stang, S. M. Swickard and M. R. Deguire, NASA Technical Memorandum 102501, July 1990, p 3.Google Scholar
- 6.R. W. Rice, in “Treatise on Material Science and Technology”, Vol. 11, edited by R. K. MacCrone (Academic Press, New York, 1977) p. 199.Google Scholar
- 13.K. K. Phani, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 1584.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Lewis III, ibid. 57 (1978) 434.Google Scholar