Pitch-based carbon fibres derived from thermoset fibres oxidized with Cl2 containing air
- 62 Downloads
Mesophase pitch-based carbon fibres thermoset with Cl2 containing air were studied for their microstructures and physical properties. Carbon fibres thermoset with Cl2 containing air and heat-treated at 2000‡C (Cl22000) possessed slightly smaller mean sizes of crystallites Lc(0 0 2)s, lower densities, lower tensile moduli of elasticity, and higher tensile strengths than those thermoset with air. X-ray diffraction measurements revealed a somewhat lower degree of preferred orientation of a carbon fibre which was thermoset with Cl2 containing air. The Cl2 thermosetting partly disordered the periodic arrangement of crystallites and reduced the crystallite size Lc(0 0 2) of a carbon fibre heat-treated at a lower temperature. A strong temperature dependence of resistivity was shown for Cl2800, suggesting much disorder in its microstructure due to the Cl2 thermosetting, and Cl21000 and Cl21200, respectively showed specific temperature dependencies of resistivities.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Tensile Strength Crystallite Size Carbon Fibre
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.D. S. Kurtz, MSc thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, USA (1983).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Arai, T. Iwashita and T. Tomioka, Preprint for the twenty-second autumn conference of Chemical Engineering Society of Japan, Tokyo (1989) p. 303 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Arai, T. Iwashita and T Tomioka, Preprint for the sixteenth annual meeting of Carbon Society of Japan, Tokyo (1989) p. 174 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Arai, T. Iwashita and T.Tomioka, Preprint for the International Symposium on Carbon, Tsukuba, Japan (1990) p. 782.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Arai, T. tomioka, Preprint for the eighteenth annual meeting of Carbon Society of Japan, Saitama (1991) p. 76 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 13.T. Hamada, PhD thesis, Tokyo University, Tokyo (1990) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 14.JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) R 7601-1980; Testing Methods for Carbon Fibers (1980) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 17.R. J. Price, Phihs. Mag. 12 (1965) 564.Google Scholar
- 19.m. s. dresselhaus, g. D. dresselhaus, k. sugihara, i. l. spain and h. A. goldberg, “Graphite Fibers and Filaments”, edited by M. Gardona (Springer Series in Materials Science 5, 1988) p. 92 and p. 132.Google Scholar
- 21.H. B. Brown, Y. Tomkiewicz, A. A. Aviram, A. Broers and B. Sunners, Solid State Comm. 35 (1980) 135.Google Scholar