Correlations between gas phase supersaturation, nucleation process and physico-chemical characteristics of silicon carbide deposited from Si-C-H-Cl system on silica substrates
- 276 Downloads
In the CH3SiCl3-H2 CVD system, from which SiC-based films are prepared, the supersaturation of the gas phase increases when temperature and total pressure decreases and when a diffusion-controlled kinetic process is changed in a reaction-controlled one. These conditions variations seem to induce a transition from a growth regime to a nucleation regime, as evidenced by a study of the initial stages of the deposition. A transition from a crystallized film with columnar crystals to a nanocrystalline deposit is also reported on the basis of accurate experiments using TEM and related techniques.
KeywordsCarbide Silicon Carbide Supersaturation Total Pressure Kinetic Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. Naslain and F. Langlais, in “Tailoring Multiphase and Composite Ceramics”, edited by R. E. Tressler, G. L. Messing, G. G. Pantano and R. E. Newnham (Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1986) p. 145.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Schlichting, Powder Metall. Int. 12 3 (1980) 141 and 12 4 (1980) 196.Google Scholar
- 4.W. F. Knippenberg, Philips Res. Repts. 18 (1963) 161.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Bloem, Acta Electronica 21 3 (1978) 201.Google Scholar
- 15.R. Cadoret, in “Current Topics in Materials Science”, edited by E. Kaldis (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1980) ch. 2.Google Scholar
- 16.c. prebende, Thesis no. 347, University of Bordeaux (1989).Google Scholar
- 17.F. Loumagne, F. Langlais and R. Naslain, J. le Physique IV, 3/C3 (1993) 527.Google Scholar
- 19.F. Langlais and C. Prebende, in Proceedings of Eleventh International Conference on CVD, Seattle, October 1990, edited by K. E. Spear and G. W. Cullen (The Electrochem, Society, Pennington, 1990) p. 686.Google Scholar
- 24.P. Tsui and K. E. Spear, Mat. Sci. Res. 17 (1984) 37.Google Scholar
- 25.S. Prouhet, F. Langlais, A. Guette, R. Naslain and J. Rey, Eur. J. Solid State Inorg. Chem. 30 (1993) 953.Google Scholar
- 27.D. Lespiaux, F. Langlais, R. Naslain, S. Schamm and J. Sevely, J. Europ. Ceram. Soc. (in press).Google Scholar