R-curve effect on strength and reliability of toughened ceramic materials
- 72 Downloads
An improved theoretical analysis is presented for the strength and mechanical reliability of ceramic materials with an R-curve characteristic. There is good agreement between the predicted flexural strength distribution of an Al2O3/ZrO2 ceramic and experimental datA. Unlike the conventional two-parameter Weibull approach, this new analysis is able to predict the non-linearity observed in the lnln 1/(1−Pf) versus In σf strength distribution curve. Compared to the untoughened Griffith material, the R-curve material has higher strength and better strength reliability.
KeywordsPolymer Experimental datA Theoretical Analysis Material Processing Flexural Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Weibull, Ing. Veterskaps Aka. Hanal. 151 (1939) 1.Google Scholar
- 2.Idem, J. Appl. Mech. ASME 18 (1951) 293.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Kendall, N. McN. Alford and J. D. Birchall, in “Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings”, Vol. 78, “Advanced Structural Ceramics”, edited by P. F. Becher, M. V. Swain and S. SÕmiya (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1987) pp. 189–97.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Duan, Y. W. Mai and B. Cotterell, Key Eng. Mater. 48–50 (1990) 53.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Duan, PhD thesis, The University of Sydney (1993).Google Scholar
- 13.R. A. Hunt and L. N. McCartney, Int. J. Fract. 15 (1979) 365.Google Scholar
- 14.A. G. Atkins and Y. W. Mai, “Elastic and Plastic Fracture: Metals, Polymers, Ceramics, Composites, Biological Materials” (Ellis Horwood Halsted Press, Chichester, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- 15.R. C. Garvie and M. F. Goss, in “Advanced Ceramics II”, edited by S. SÕmiya (Elsevier, London, 1988) pp. 69–87.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Duan, Y. W. Mai, M. V. Swain and B. Cotterell, Key Eng. Mater. 48–50 (1990) 130.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Duan, Y. W. Mai and B. Cotterell, in “25th National Symposium on Fracture Mechanics”, ASTM, 29 June–1 July 1993, Bethlehem, PA. (Also to be published in ASTM special publication STP 1220.)Google Scholar
- 18.K. Duan, Y-W Mai and B. Cotterell, in “8th International Conference of Fracture”, (ICF-8) 8–14 June 1993, Kiev, Ukraine.Google Scholar