Coarsening and properties of extruded Al-8Fe-4Ni-1Mo alloys
- 33 Downloads
Characterization of rapidly solidified Al-8Fe-4Ni-1Mo alloy shows that subsequent extrusion generates a non-uniform microstructure which may be attributed to the non-uniform deformation during extrusion. The mechanical properties were found to be closely related to the extrusion ratio. It is believed that the degradation of the microstructure is due to the severe deformation during processing, and hence a compromise is needed between optimum powder bonding and the lowest extent of deformation in the consolidation process.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Mechanical Property Material Processing Lower Extent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. M. Adam, V. R. V. Ramanan and D. J. Skinner, in “Undercooled Alloy Phases”, edited by E. W. Collings and C. C. Coch, (Metals Society of AIME, 1987) p. 59.Google Scholar
- 2.M. De Sanctis, A. P. Woodfield and M. H. Lorretto, Int. J. Rapid Solidification 4 (1988) 53.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Dudzinski, J. Inst. Metals 83 (1955) 444.Google Scholar
- 7.M. K. Premkumar, A. Lawley and M. J. Koczzak, in “Modern Development in Powder Metallurgy”, edited by E. N. Aqua and C. I. Whiteman (Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princedon, New Jersey, 1985) p. 467.Google Scholar
- 8.M. K. Premkumar, A. Lawley and M. J. Koczzak, Met. Trans. 23A (1992) 3219.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Shao, P. Tsakiropoulos and A. P. Miodownik, “The Microstructure of Rapidly Solidified Al-8Fe-4Ni-1Mo Alloy Powders”, Int. J. Rapid Solid. (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.G. Scharf, H. Mcshane, P. Smith and A. P. Miodownik, Euram Final Report Project MA1E/0076/C (1991).Google Scholar
- 14.A. P. Miodownik, in Proceedings of the ASM Conference on Advanced Materials, (ICOMP), Bombay, February 1992 (in press).Google Scholar
- 16.J. H. Perepezco, in “Alloy Phase Diagrams” edited by L. H. Bennett, T. B. Massalski and B. C. Giessen (North Holland, New York, 1982) p. 223.Google Scholar