Effect of heat treatment on the insoluble intermetallic phases present in an AA 6063 alloy
- 215 Downloads
The microstructure of a semi-continuously cast AA 6063 alloy was investigated and the transformation of insoluble intermetallic phases by applied heat treatment was studied by selective dissolution of the matrix. Residual intermetallics were characterized using energy-dispersive X-ray analysis, X-ray and electron diffraction techniques. Transformation of β-AlFeSi phase, which is known to have detrimental effects on the surface finish of the extrudates, to more favourable α-AlFeSi phase by heat treatment was determined.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Heat Treatment Detrimental Effect Electron Diffraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. G. Rivlin, G. V. Raynor, Int. Met. Rev. 26 (1981) 133.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Ryvola and L. R. Morris, Microstr. Sci. 5 (1977) 203.Google Scholar
- 4.N. C. Parson and H. L. Yiu, in Proceedings of Light Metals Conference, Las Vegas, February 1989, edited by P. G. Campbell (TMS/AIME, Warrendale, Pennslvania, 1989) p. 713.Google Scholar
- 5.A. L. Dons, Z. Metallkde 75 (1984) 170.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Hidvegi and A. Griger, Aluminium 60 (1984) 603.Google Scholar