Parametric study of the chemical vapour deposition of carbon-boron-nitrogen compounds
The influence of various parameters controlling the chemical vapour deposition of carbon-boron-nitrogen mixtures has been studied using the experimental designs methodology which provides a valuable phenomenological approach for the initial study of complicated chemical systems. The gaseous precursors used were acetylene (C2H2), boron trichloride (BCl3), and ammonia (NH3). An extended experimental field was investigated, which leads to a very wide composition range for the deposits. All the deposits may be described as hexagonal single phase, including the C-BN-“BC3” ternary domain. In this composition triangle, no thermodynamically stable boron carbides were found.
KeywordsCarbide Boron C2H2 Acetylene Chemical Vapour Deposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. R. Badzian, T. Niemyski, S. Appenheimer and E. Olkusnik, in “Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Chemical Vapor Deposition”, edited by F. A. Glaski (American Nuclear Society, Hinsdale, IL, 1972) pp. 747–53.Google Scholar
- 3.S. H. Chen and R. J. Diefendorf, in “Proceedings of the 3rd International Carbon Conference”, Baden-Baden, 30 June–4 July 1980, (Deutsche keramische Gesellschaft, Baden-Baden, 1980) pp. 44–6.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Kouvetakis, R. B. Kaner, M. L. Sattler and N. Bartlett, J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. (1986) 1758.Google Scholar
- 7.A. W. Moore, in “Proceedings of the 18th Biennal Carbon Conference”, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA (American Carbon Society, St Mary, PA, 1987) pp. 523–4.Google Scholar
- 16.F. Saugnac and A. Marchand, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 310 (II) (1990) 187.Google Scholar
- 17.F. Saugnac, F. Teyssandier and A. Marchand, in “Proceedings of the eleventh International Conference on CVD”, edited by K. E. Spear and G. W. Cullen (The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJ, 1990) pp. 710–16.Google Scholar
- 18.R. Phan Tan Luu, D. Feneuille and D. Mathieu, “Méthodologie de la recherche expérimentale”, Cycle d'Actualisation des Connaissances IPSOI, Université, rue Henri Poincaré, 13397 Marseille cedex, France (1983).Google Scholar
- 19.G. E. P. Box, L. R. Connor, W. R. Cousins, O. L. Davies, F. R. Himsworth and G. P. Sillito, in “The design and analysis of industrial experiments’, edited by O. L. Davies (published for Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd by Oliver and Boyd, London, Edinburgh, 1963).Google Scholar
- 20.G. E. P. Box and J. S. Hunter, Technometrics, 3 (1961) 311.Google Scholar
- 21.F. Saugnac, F. Teyssandier and A. Marchand, J. Chim. Phys. (1992).Google Scholar