Broadened X-ray-diffraction profile analysis of cold-rolled aluminium-magnesium alloys
- 173 Downloads
A cold-rolled, commercial pure aluminium and three aluminium-magnesium alloys (containing, respectively, 1 wt%, 3 wt% and 5 wt% magnesium) were studied by X-ray-diffraction (XRD) profile analysis. The investigated equivalent plastic deformations of the materials were ranged between 0.1 and 5.0. With increases in the amounts of magnesium, the diffraction peaks widened. For each alloy, the peak width (which gives first information from the analysis) increased for low deformation ratios and reached a maximum value, dsmax′ and then it decreased or stabilized. The dsmax value increased with increases in the amount of magnesium in the alloys and ranges for equivalent deformation \(\bar \varepsilon = 0.3\) and 1.5. The results of the X-ray profile analysis have been correlated with previous observations by transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and they have been successfully used to quantify the microstructural features of the alloys.
KeywordsPolymer Magnesium Transmission Electron Microscopy Plastic Deformation Diffraction Peak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. D. Embury, A. Kelly and R. Nicholson, “Strengthening methods in crystals” (Applied Science, New York, 1971) p. 331.Google Scholar
- 3.Bent Bay and Niels Hansen, Second RISO International Symposium on Metallurgy and Material Science, Nenwark, Denmark, edited by N. Hansen, A. Horsewell, T. Leffers and H. Liholt (RISO National Laboratory, 1981) p. 137.Google Scholar
- 6.Marie Richert, Z. Metallkde. 78 (1987) 862.Google Scholar
- 7.B. E. Warren, “X-ray diffraction” (Addison-Wesley, London, 1969).Google Scholar
- 11.T. Ungar, H. Mughrabi and M. Wilkens, Fifth RISO International Symposium on Metallurgy and Material Science, Rooklide, Denmark, edited by N. H. Andersen, M. Eldrup, N. Hansen, D. Juul Jensen, T. Leffers, H. Lulholt, O. B. Pedersen and B. N. Singh (RISO National Laboratory, 1984) p. 539.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Q. Thang, PhD thesis, Institute National Polytechnique de Grenoble, Grenoble, France, 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.F. Louchet and T. Q. Thang, Symposium of Colloque Plasticity 88, Grenoble, March 1988.Google Scholar
- 19.G. R. Stibitz, Phys. Rev. 49 (1936) 862.Google Scholar
- 20.R. E. Smallman, “Modern physical metallurgy”, (Butterworths, London, 1970).Google Scholar
- 22.N. Ji, PhD thesis, Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Arts et Métiers, Paris, France (1989).Google Scholar