Novel approaches in the melt-texturing of YBa2Cu3O7−y
- 33 Downloads
Electrochemically pre-textured samples have been subjected to melt-processing in order to produce dense and highly textured bulk samples of YBa2Cu3O7−y (YBCO). Full oxygenation of these samples has been achieved at high processing temperatures of 720 °C by electrochemical titration, in order to increase the superconducting transition temperature to > 89 K. These samples show a large magnetic hysteresis, and the value of Jc calculated using the Bean model is in the range 4000–6000 A cm−2 at 77 K and 1 tesla magnetic field, and is independent of the applied field in that range. In another variation of the melt-processing technique — referred to as “isothermal melt-textured growth” — highly textured samples have been produced by the movement of the solidification front at a constant temperature in an oxygen activity gradient.
KeywordsTitration Material Processing Applied Field Processing Temperature Bulk Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L. F. Scheenmeyer, E. M. Gyorgy and J. V. Waszezak, Phys. Rev. 34B (1981) 8804.Google Scholar
- 3.R. V. Kumar, D. J. Fray, J. E. Evetts, H. W. Williams and A. Misson, J. Electrochem Soc. 43 (1993) 1285.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Reginier, L. Chaffron, X. Descharels and L. Schmirgeld, in Proceedings of the 7th CIMTEC World Ceramic Congress, Satellite Symposium 4, HTC Superconductors, Trieste, 2–5 July 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Jin, J. Metals 43 (1991) 7.Google Scholar
- 10.P. J. McGinn, W. Chen and N. Zhu, J. Metals 43 (1991) 26.Google Scholar