Sintering of (Ca1−x, Mgx)Zr4(PO4)6 ceramics
- 61 Downloads
Densification and grain growth of (Ca1−x, Mgx)Zr4(PO4)6 (CMZP; where x=0.0, 0.1, and 0.4) ceramics at the intermediate stage of sintering have been investigated. A lattice-diffusion model proposed by Coble with tetrakaidecahedron as a grain shape was employed and appears to be applicable to the sintering of CMZP. The apparent diffusion coefficient of the CMZP ceramics for x=0.0 is lower by approximately three and one orders of magnitude than for x=0.1 and x=0.4, respectively. The grain growth in CMZP at the intermediate stage of sintering follows a third-power kinetics, i.e. n=3. A modified expression using the lattice-diffusion model associated with grain-growth kinetics has been derived which makes the microstructures of CMZP controllable.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Diffusion Coefficient Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. J. Bennism and M. P. Harmer, in “Ceramic Transaction”, Vol. 7, “Sintering of Advanced Ceramics”, edited by C. A. Handwerker, J. E. Blendell and W. A. Kagsser (American Ceramic Society, 1990) pp. 13–49.Google Scholar
- 11.R. L. Coble and T. K. Gupta, in “Sintering and Related Phenomena”, edited by G. C. Kuczynski, N. A. Hroton and C. F. Gibbon (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1967) pp. 423–41.Google Scholar
- 12.D. Turnbull, J. Metals 3 Trans. AIME 191 (1951) 661.Google Scholar
- 16.W. H. Rhodes and R. E. Carter, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 41 (1962) 283.Google Scholar
- 17.S. M. Van Aken, MS thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1990).Google Scholar