Preparation and pressureless sintering of chemical vapour deposited SiC-B composite powder
- 65 Downloads
SiC-B composite powder was prepared by chemical vapour deposition (CVD) using (CH3)2SiCl2+B2H6+H2 as source gases at 1673 K. The powder was β-type polycrystalline silicon carbide containing several per cents of boron and carbon. The boron content increased from 0 to 7.7 mass % as the B2H6 gas concentration increased from 0 to 0.7 mol %. Boron and carbon in amorphous form dispersed homogeneously in the β-SiC polycrystalline particles. The particles were spherical, non-agglomerated and uniform in size with an average particle size of about 50 nm. Sintering tests were performed with the resulting composite powder without applying pressure. Powder containing 1 mass % boron and 2 mass % carbon was sintered to a density of 3.16×103kgm−3 at 2273 K, and the Vickers hardness of the sintered body was 30 GPa. When the sintering temperature was higher than 2323 K, significant grain growth due to the phase transformation from β to α form occurred, which decreased bulk density and Vickers hardness.
KeywordsCarbide Boron Phase Transformation Bulk Density Chemical Vapour Deposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. PROCHAZKA, in “dSpecial Ceramics 6”, edited by P. POPPER (British Ceramic Research Association, Stoke-on-Trent, 1975) p. 171.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. MURATA and R. H. SMOAK, in Proceedings of the International Symposium Factors in Densification and Sintering of Oxide and Non-oxide Ceramics, Hakone, Japan, 1978, edited by S. SOMIYA and S. SAITO (Gakujustu Bunken Fukyu-Kai, Tokyo, 1979) p. 382.Google Scholar
- 8.S. PROCHAZKA and R. J. CHARLES, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 52 (1973) 885.Google Scholar
- 13.K. MIYACHI, Y. OKABE, J. HOJO and A. KATO, J. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 1 (1983) 28.Google Scholar
- 14.Y. OKABE, K. MIYACHI, J. HOJO and A. KATO, ibid. 9 (1981) 1363.Google Scholar
- 15.L. CHEN, Thesis, Tohoku University, 1990.Google Scholar
- 19.H. R. BAUMGARTNER and B. R. ROSSING, in “Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 2: Silicon Carbide '87”, edited by J. D. CAWLEY, C. E. SEMLER (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, 1989) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 20.T. SAKAIDA and M. YAMAMOTO, in “Tankakeiso Seramikkusu (SiC Ceramics)”, edited by S. SOMIYA and Y. INOMATA (Uchida Pokakuho, Japan, 1988) p. 373.Google Scholar
- 22.Y. SUYAMA, R. M. MARRA, J. S. HAGGERTY and H. K. BOWEN, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 1356.Google Scholar