Two-dimensional pentagon quasicrystal in an Al-Co-Ni-Tb alloy obtained by quenching under high static pressure
- 52 Downloads
A transmission electron microscopy study of quasicrystals was carried out in Al-Co-Ni-Tb alloy which was obtained by quenching under high static pressure and a new two-dimensional pentagonal quasicrystal was discovered. An unique five-fold axis is observed in its diffraction patterns and the periodicity along the five-fold axis is 0.4 nm. Another feature of the pentagonal phase is that no extinction exists in the diffraction patterns along the direction perpendicular to the five-fold axis. A comparison of the high resolution electron microscopy images of the pentagonal phase and the decagonal quasicrystal is given. The effect of high pressure is discussed.
KeywordsPolymer Microscopy Electron Microscopy Transmission Electron Microscopy High Resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.H. CHEN, D. X. LI and K. H. KUO, ibid. 60 (1988) 1945.Google Scholar
- 7.M. ICHIHARA, K. EDAGAWA and S. TAKEUCHI, in Proceedings of the Fifth Asia-Pacific Electron Microscopy I, edited by K. H. KUO and Z. H. ZHAI (World Scientific, Singapore, 1992) p. 494.Google Scholar
- 10.Q. ZHANG and W. H. SU, Chinese J. High Press. Phys. 2 (1988) 58.Google Scholar
- 13.W. H. SU, R. C. YU, D. P. XU, X. Z. LI, Z. ZHANG and K. H. KUO, in “High-Pressure Science and Technology — 1993”, AIP Conference Proceedings 309, (edited by S. C. SCHMIDTT et al., American Institute of Physics Ress. New York, 1994) p. 81.Google Scholar
- 14.D. P. XU, Y. B. SONG, W. H. SU and H. M. LIN, Chinese J. High Press. Phy. 8 (1994) 60.Google Scholar