Strength estimation for silicon nitride specimens with a spherical void
- 27 Downloads
Silicon nitride specimens embedded with a single spherical void were prepared for a flexural strength test. The measured flexural strengths of the specimens were compared with theoretically estimated strengths. Estimation of the strengths was done using a Gibbs free-energy criterion. The energy was calculated by Eshelby's equivalent inclusion method for a specimen with an embedded void. Good correspondence was obtained between the experimental and the estimated fracture loads. A deviation of the estimated strength from the experimental value was observed for voids whose diameters were comparable with intrinsic defects.
KeywordsNitride Material Processing Flexural Strength Silicon Nitride Strength Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. Heinrich and D. Munz, Ceram. Bull. 59 (1980) 1221.Google Scholar
- 7.F. I. Baratta, Commun. Am. Ceram. Soc. 64 (1981) C3.Google Scholar
- 8.A. G. Evans and G. Tappin, Proc. Br. Ceram. Soc. 20 (1972) 275.Google Scholar
- 13.J. D. Eshelby, Proc. R. Soc. A241 (1957) 376.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Mura and T. Mori, “Maikuromekanikkusu (Micromechanics)” (Baifuukan, Tokyo, 1976) p. 23.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Taya and R. J. Arsenault, “Metal Matrix Composite” (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1989) p. 82.Google Scholar