A new criterion for determining the failure of Ti/SiC metal-matrix composites
The failure of titanium metal-matrix composites (MMCs) strengthened with monofilament carbon-coated sigma SiC fibres has been studied following exposure at a temperature of 900‡C. Statistical analysis of the data shows that the time to penetration of the carbon layer on the as-received carbon-coated sigma monofilament (SiC+C) can be used as a failure criterion for these composites. The same technique can also be used as a measure of the effectiveness of different diffusion barrier coatings.
KeywordsPolymer Titanium Material Processing Failure Criterion Diffusion Barrier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. R. Smith and F. H. Froes, J. Metals March (1984) 19.Google Scholar
- 2.A. G. Metclafe, in “Composite Materials”, edited by D. Broutman and Krock, Vol. 4, “Metallic Matrix Composites”, edited by K. G. Kreider (Academic Press, 1974) p. 219.Google Scholar
- 4.W. D. Brewer and J. Unnam, NASA Technical Paper 2066 (NASA 1982).Google Scholar
- 5.A. G. Metcalfe and M. J. Klein, in “Composite Materials”, Vol. I, edited by D. Broutman and D. Krock (Academic Press, 1972) p. 125.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Ochiai and K. Osamura, in “Composites '86: Recent Advances in Japan and United States”, edited by K. Kawata et al., (Japanese Society for Composite Materials, 1986) p. 4269.Google Scholar
- 9.F. E. Wawner Jr, in “Fibre Reinforcements for Composite Materials, edited by A. R. Bunsell (Eisevier Science, 1988) p. 371.Google Scholar
- 10.C. M. Warwick and J. E. Smith, in “Proceedings of the 12th RisØ International Symposium on Materials Science”, Roskilde, September 1991, edited by N. Hansen et al. (RisØ National Laboratory, Roskilde, 1991) p. 735.Google Scholar
- 13.D. M. Yang, C. X. Huang, D. T. Huang and X. Zhao, in “Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Composite Interfaces”, Cleveland, OH, May 1990, edited by H. Ishida (American Society of Metals International, 1990) p. 199.Google Scholar
- 14.D. J. Stephenson, S. A. Impey, J. R. Nicholls and P. Hancock, in “Development of High Temperature Titanium Metal Matrix Composites”, Final Report, SERC GRANT GR/F5379, January 1993.Google Scholar
- 15.J. R. Nicholls, N-C Shih and D. J. Stephenson, “The Assessment of Diffusion Barriers for Ti/SiC Composites”, Presented at Metal Matrix Composites IV, Royal Society, London, 6–7 December 1993, Mater. Sci. Technol., to be published.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Hancock, D. J. Stephenson and J. V. Tesha, to be published.Google Scholar
- 17.J. V. Tesha, PhD thesis, Cranfield University (1993).Google Scholar