Oxide film formation on aluminium nitride substrates covered with thin aluminium layers
- 64 Downloads
The growth of oxide films on aluminium nitride substrates covered by vapour-deposited aluminium films of 1.5 and 4 μm thickness has been studied in air at atmospheric pressure as a function of temperature. Oxide films were grown by oxidation in air at temperatures between 800 and 1300°C. The kinetics of the growth of oxide films on such substrates was observed to be complex. In particular, there are three subsequent periods of observed oxide growth: (1) an initial period of rapid oxide growth, (2) an incubation period with very slow oxide growth, and (3) a second period of relatively fast oxide growth.
KeywordsNitride Oxide Film Initial Period Film Formation Aluminium Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. W. Rice, J. H. Enloe, J. W. Lau, E. Y. Luh and L. E. Dolhert, Ceram, Bull. 71 (1992) 751.Google Scholar
- 2.N. Iwase, K. Anzai and K. Shinozaki, Solid State Technol. 29 (10) (1986) 135.Google Scholar
- 3.L. M. Sheppard, (ed.), Ceram. Bull. 69 (1990) 1801.Google Scholar
- 8.D. A. Robinson and R. Dieckmann, J. Mater. Sci., in press.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Thiele, Aluminium 38 (1962) 707 (in German).Google Scholar
- 10.Idem, ibid. 38 (1962) 780 (in German).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Billy, J. Jarrige, J. P. Lecompte, J. Mexmain and S. Yefsah, Rev. Chim. Miner. 19 (1982) 673 (in French).Google Scholar
- 19.F. A. Cotton, “Advanced Inorganic Chemistry”, 5th Edn (Wiley, New York, 1988)Google Scholar