R curves for energy dissipative materials
- 49 Downloads
This paper focuses on the theoretical simulation of fracture and stable crack growth of specimens with non-local damage. The first law of thermodynamics allows the identification or definition of appropriate crack-driving forces. The results are compared with recent ideas on defining tearing resistance for uncontained yield through the energy dissipation rate. A hypothesis regarding the conversion of mechanical into thermal energies within the non-local damage region is formulated to model the fracture behaviour of energy dissipative materials with rising crack resistance characteristics. The material's capacity to develop non-local damage is assumed to decrease with the actual damage level. This decrease relates linearly with the remaining resources of the material in dissipating energy. The hypothesis, which proposes a square root function for theoretical J-R curves, is verified by the regression analysis of experimental data regarding a European round-robin test of different steels.
KeywordsEnergy Dissipation Thermal Energy Dissipation Rate Fracture Behaviour Damage Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. Will, Fortschrittberichte VDI Reihe 18 (1988) 56.Google Scholar
- 4.C. E. Turner, in: “Post-yield Fracture Mechanics”, edited by D. G. H. Latzko, C. E. Turner, J. D. Landes, D. E. McCabe and T. K. Hellen, (Elsevier, Barking, 1984) p. 25.Google Scholar
- 6.O. Kolednik, ESIS Newsletter No. 20 (1992/93) 12.Google Scholar
- 7.C. E. Turner, ESIS Newsletter No. 19 (1992) 10.Google Scholar
- 8.T. L. Anderson, “Fracture Mechanics” (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1991).Google Scholar
- 12.M. F. Mecklenburg, J. A. Joyce, P. Albrecht, in “Nonlinear fracture mechanics” Vol. II, “Elastic-plastic fracture”, edited by J. D. Landes, A. Saxena and J. G. Merkle (ASTM STP 995, 1989) 594.Google Scholar
- 13.M. L. Braga, PhD thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College, University of London, 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Will, B. Michel, P. Kuntzsch, cfiBer./DKG 70 (1993) 23.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Will, Fortschrittsberichte der DKG 3 (1992) 133.Google Scholar
- 17.B. Hayes, et al. Final report of a European round-robin, TWI Report No. 8029/6/90, The Welding Institute, Abington, 1990.Google Scholar