Hot isostatic pressing of tetragonal ZrO2 solid-solution powders prepared from acetylacetonates in the system ZrO2-Y2O3-Al2O3
- 46 Downloads
In compositions having ZrO2/Y2O3=(74.25−71.25)/(0.75–3.75) (mol% ratio) with 25 mol% Al2O3, metastable t-ZrO2 solid solutions crystallize at ∼ 780° to ∼ 860°C from amorphous materials prepared by the simultaneous hydrolysis of zirconium, yttrium and aluminium acetylacetonates. Hot isostatic pressing has been performed for 1 h at 1130 and 1230°C under 196 MPa using their powders. Two kinds of material are fabricated: (i) perfect ZrO2 solid-solution ceramics and (ii) composites of ZrO2 solid solution and α-Al2O3. Their mechanical properties are examined, in connection with microstructures and t/m ZrO2 ratios. Composites with a homogeneous dispersed α-Al2O3 derived from solid-solution ceramics result in a remarkable increase of strength.
KeywordsPolymer Aluminium Microstructure Mechanical Property Hydrolysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Inamura, H. Miyamoto, Y. Imaida, M. Takagawa, K. Hirota and O. Yamaguchi, J. Mater. Sci. in press.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Toraya, M. Yoshimura and S. Somiya, ibid. 67 (1984) C-119.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Niihara, A. Nakahira and T. Hirai, ibid. 67 (1984) C-13.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Stevens and P. A. Evans, Br. Ceram. Trans. J. 83 (1984) 23.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Wang, M. Rainforth and R. Stevens, Br. Ceram. Trans. J. 88 (1989) 1.Google Scholar