Some aspects of electron beam welded and laser welded ferritic Fe-22Cr-3Mo-5Ni-0.3Ru alloy
- 48 Downloads
Ferritic Fe-22Cr-3Mo-5Ni-0.3Ru alloy was welded by electron beam (EB) and laser techniques. Tensile tests, impact tests, oxalic acid etch, electrochemical potentiokinetic reactivation (EPR) and potential-time measurements were employed to investigate the mechanical properties, microstructural features and corrosion behaviour of the EB and laser welded metals. The oxalic acid etch tests revealed that the microstructure of the EB and laser welded metals consisted of columnar grains and cells, respectively. These structures were formed directly from the substrate by epitaxial solidification. Furthermore, the oxalic acid tests also showed that the EB and laser welded metals were immune to intergranular corrosion. Similar results were obtained by double loop EPR tests.
KeywordsElectron Beam Tensile Test Oxalic Acid Corrosion Behaviour Intergranular Corrosion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. D. Binder and H. R. Spendelow Jr, Trans. Am. Soc. Met. 43 (1951) 759.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Abo, T. Nakazawa, S. Takemura, M. Onoyama, H. Ogawa and H. Okada, in “Stainless Steel 77”, edited by R. Q. Barr (Climax Molybdenum Co., Greenwich, CT, 1977) p. 35.Google Scholar
- 4.N. D. Tomashov and G. P. Chernova, Prot. Met. (USSR) 11 (1975) 379.Google Scholar
- 14.N. D. Tomashov, G. P. Chernova and L. N. Volkov, Prot. Met. (USSR), 6 (1970) 388.Google Scholar
- 16.W. L. Clarke, R. L. Cowan and W. L. Walker, in “Intergranular Corrosion of Stainless Alloys”, ASTM STP 656 (American Society of Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1987) p. 99.Google Scholar
- 18.M. Akashi, T. Kawamoto and F. Umemura, Boshoku Gijutsu (Corros. Eng.) 29 (1980) 163.Google Scholar
- 21.L. S. Weinman and J. N. Devault, in “Proceedings of Laser-Solid Interactions and Laser Processing”, edited by S. D. Ferres, H. J. Leamy and J. M. Poate (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1978), p. 239.Google Scholar
- 23.Y. Komizu, Met. Con. 18 (1986) 104R.Google Scholar
- 24.S. Kou and Y. Le, Met. Trans. 13A (1982) 1144.Google Scholar
- 29.N. D. Tomashov, S. A. Golovanenko, E. A. Ul'yanin, G. P. Chernova and A. D. Goronkova, Prot. Met (USSR) 16 (1980) 83.Google Scholar